LIFESIGNS, Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt California corporation providing communication access to the deaf, hard of hearing and hearing communities. LIFESIGNS, Inc. provides services to the following areas: Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County, Santa Barbara County, Ventura County, Antelope Valley, San Luis Obispo County, Kern County, and Inyo-Mono Counties.
All proceeds go back into the organization to provide direct services to the deaf and hard of hearing community. By utilizing LIFESIGNS, you are assured quality interpreting services and you are improving the lives of deaf and hard of hearing individuals.
Los Angeles/Orange/Riverside/Kern and Tri-County: 888-930-7776
After Hours Emergency: 800-633-8883
LIFESIGNS was established in 1985 to provide emergency sign language interpreting services for health care, mental health and law enforcement agencies. LIFESIGNS responds to 40 to 50 emergencies a month and approximately 10,000+ requests annually. LIFESIGNS provides a full spectrum of interpreter services in eight counties, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
LIFESIGNS coordinates an average of 40 to 60 interpreters a day in various settings. LIFESIGNS uses certified interpreters who possess certification from the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), National Association of the Deaf (NAD), American Consortium of Certified Interpreters (ACCI) and National Interpreter Certification (NIC). Requests for sign language interpreters come from a variety of sources: health care personnel, employers, the educational field, convention planners, the entertainment industry, the legal system, political entities and the deaf community.
The overall goal of LIFESIGNS is to promote self-determination and self-sufficiency of deaf and hard of hearing people within the mainstream of life through the provision of comprehensive, dependable and effective communication services.
Why do I need to request an interpreter?
Some people may feel that writing is an effective mode of communication with a deaf or hard of hearing individual. However, writing takes 5 to 6 times longer than speaking through a sign language interpreter. Writing is also cumbersome and is limited in its content, often resulting in misunderstandings. Relying on lip reading is a risky venture. It is a fact that even the most skilled lip reader is able to recognize only 30% of what is said on the lips. The remaining 70% of the message is left to guesswork.
You may ask, “Why can’t I use a friend, family member or someone who knows sign language to ‘interpret’ for me?” There is a world of difference between a professional interpreter and a signer. Interpreters adhere to a strict code of ethics, which promotes neutrality, confidentiality and objectivity.
Tips when requesting interpreters
Generally a minimum of 3 to 5 working days advance notice is required. When requesting an interpreter, please have the following information: Name, address, contact person, phone number, situation and billing information including authorizing person and phone number.
To request an interpreter, visit www.lifesignsinc.org.