|Position: Legal Advocate||Classification: Non-Exempt|
|Supervisor: Advocate Supervisor||FTE: 100%|
|Location: Los Angeles, Ca||Department: Human Services|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Legal Advocate will:
- Provide advocacy in the areas of Social Security, immigration, education, employment, consumer affairs, and others that have potential legal outcomes;
- Assist deaf and hard of hearing consumers in the area of communication access via TTY relay, Videophone (VP), document translation, and other duties;
- Identify consumer issues for potential discrimination and file proper complaints;
- Must be knowledgeable about consumer’s rights to equal access and opportunity under the laws. Prior experience advocating for civil, employment and consumers rights;
- Educate the deaf and hard of hearing community about various laws and programs benefiting and protecting the rights of deaf persons such as Department of Rehabilitation, Social Security policies and the ADA, etc;
- Review, process and draft documents regarding deaf and hard of hearing client’s human rights;
- Perform such tasks and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Applicants must have B.A. degree and two years of related experience. Prefer candidates to be familiar with legal related matters. Applicants must have the ability to work with a diverse multi-ethnic population. Applicants must have background knowledge of various laws and programs benefiting and protecting the human rights of deaf and hard of hearing persons. Excellent communication skills required. Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and ability to communicate with consumers who use different methods of communication. Applicants must be a flexible self-starter and a resourceful team player; detail oriented with strong organizational skills; the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and sometimes with competing deadlines; excellent interpersonal skills and at all times be capable of maintaining a cooperative relationship in an organizational team environment. Punctuality and reliability are required. Applicants must be able to handle confidential situations; have the ability to work independently, take initiative and thrive under pressure in a fast- paced environment; must have a professional demeanor, including phone manners.
Must have a valid Driver’s License and current automobile insurance as required by law and reliable means of transportation.