|Position: Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened Specialist||Classification: Non-Exempt|
|Supervisor: Lead Advocate||FTE: 100%|
|Location: Los Angeles, CA||Department: Human Services|
Peer counseling and coping skills to work with individuals who lost hearing later in life or who are hard of hearing. Provide job information, job training, advocacy, referrals to appropriate resources, and set up collaborative agreements with other agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Hard of Hearing Late Deafened Specialist will:
1. Address individual’s needs to become knowledgeable about his or her hearing loss;
2. Provide assistance in transitional period for hard of hearing individuals with hearing loss;
3. Develop relationship with (1) agencies providing early intervention services such as diagnostic and audiological clinics, deaf/hard of hearing program at local education agencies, diagnostic clinics, and (2) other interested parties such as Hearing Coordination Center staff and audiological community representatives;
4. Lead support groups.
5. Provide advocacy in the areas of welfare benefits, education, employment, consumer affairs, and others;
6. Provide peer-counseling to deaf and hard of hearing, and late deafened consumers with problems related to personal and family adjustments,
7. Provide information and referrals on finances, employment, food, clothing, accessible equipment and housing possibly exacerbated by sudden or progressive hearing losses;
8. Perform such tasks and responsibilities as may be assigned.
B.A. degree in related field or equivalent experience in a related field; Must be fluent in Sign Language required; In-depth knowledge and experience dealing with a hearing loss; Strong communication skills, leadership, active listening and a non-judgmental attitude; Experience conducting training and/or workshops; knowledge of community resources and ability to develop referral sources; Computer word processing and internet skills desirable; Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; Valid Driver License and current automobile insurance as required by law or reliable means of transportation.
Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance as required by law.